On June 26, 1954, the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics – basically pre-1958 NASA – moved their headquarters to a brand new facility at Edwards Air Force Base in California. More than 200 employees moved to what they called the High-Speed Flight Station. Before the big move, they were cramped inside a small hanger in Edwards' South Base. But the new location provided a fully functional research facility where a lot of early rocket tests went down. And it housed the X-1 program that created the first supersonic jets.